Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Review: Born Confused

Born Confused Born Confused by Tanuja Desai Hidier
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Tanuja Desai Hidier crafted a brilliant coming of age tale that is still relevant fifteen years later even after the landscape of the Indian American diaspora has changed so much. Dimple Lala's self discovery is interwoven with the rediscovery of her heritage through enchanting metaphors like photography, music, and dance. Dimple's relationships with each character are intricate and grounded in reality. Though it's categorized as a young adult romance, it is so much more than that. I first picked up Born Confused when I saw a bindi on a book cover in Barnes & Nobel but as a 13 year old, I was too young to recognize it as a masterpiece. I'm so glad that I gave this novel another chance and would highly recommend it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment